Wednesday, June 15, 2011

DIY Vintage Blue Mason Jars


I came across an extremely useful tutorial over on
Bridal Buzz and wanted to share it with you. It details how to transform clear mason jars into the old Ball Perfect Mason Jar. These vintage blue mason jars are beautiful and extremely rare these days. Many brides scour eBay, thrift stores, etc. scooping up one here and one there, paying outrageous sums as they go. No longer ladies. Now, you can get that vintage, country vibe you've been hankering for and for a steal. Stay tuned for tomorrow's post and even more blue mason jars...

From Bridal Buzz:
I used a product called Vitrea 160, which is a transparent color for glass, in a shade called turquoise. I also purchased some thinner from the same product line, so I could get a really faint look. After scooping out a small amount of the turquoise color (a dot about the size of the nail on my pinky finger) into a plastic tupperware container, I dipped my fan brush into the thinner bottle and then mixed that into the blue. That's really all you need, and after I was finished, I realized I could have colored 5 more jars with the amount of turquoise I had left.

I flipped my jar upside down and placed it into another plastic tupperware container, then brushed the outside of the jar with the mixture in thin, even strokes from top to bottom. It looks a bit bright and cloudy at this point, but bear with me! You then have to let it set for 24 hours before you bake it in the oven for 40 minutes at 375 degrees F. After it bakes and cools, the majority of your brushstrokes should disappear, so don't worry if it isn't perfect! Once you fill the jar with water and flowers any small brushstrokes that may still be present will fade even more.

The best part of this project (besides the fact that it's super easy) is that it's cheap. The two bottles of Vitrea 160 were $8.00 total.

No comments:

Post a Comment